TheLeftBack

@ChelseaValky

Friday 22 May 2015

Lisbon (a) Part 3

Spare time for me these days is used in a more constructive manner. Family, work and Chelsea leaves me with only a few free hours to relax. The days of scanning badges until the early morn much to the annoyance of my spouse are over. Sleep is needed. Middle-age is causing changes - for example, when buying a weekend newspaper I don't just read the sports section and chuck everything else in the recycling bin anymore. Even the literature pullout is being analysed. Plus, reading these parts of a newspaper help me catch my forty winks. It is for these reasons (and due to my Chelsea friend, Numero Uno encouraging me) that it has taken eight months to come round to summarise the third and final part of visiting football stadia of Lisbon during my whistlestop 36-hour tour when we played Sporting last September.
Stadium number six of seven was that of Casa Pia Atlético Clube. It certainly had a feel of, "we don't like strangers around 'ere" and club workers seemed bemused that someone was walking around taking photographs of a ground that only contains one stand. I had to ask permission from the club secretary to walk within their confines which is located in the middle of nowhere, and not an easy one to find had it not been for google maps.
An athletic club that again boasts a multitude of sports within its framework, it was formed a hundred years ago. From what I understand the club came about due to the splitting from another club in Lisbon. Unfortunately, there is little else I can add of interest as notes that I made were on my mobile phone. And this phone was flushed down the toilet by my youngest. All I remember was that slap-bang next to the stadium was a house belonging to a pigeon fancier. And there were dozens of the little pests also wondering what a Chelsea fan was doing on their territory.
The club secretary showed me photographs of the club's side from 19th century.
I bid a swift farewell but was grateful that they spent some time explaining the history of the club which ended up being wiped from my iPhone's memory.
Last but not least is Clube Futebol Benfica. Founded in 1895, the club plays at the Estadio Francisco Lazaro on Rua Olivério Serpa. With a capacity of 1,500 fans, the stadium sits on top of a row of shops. Yes. The area has a lovely feel of community. A stone's throw away lies a food market. Locals sat outside in a square playing cards and dominoes. You felt safe and calm.
As per usual I blagged it. Having asked for entry inside the ground, not only was I given a friendly tour by the club's President Domingos Estanislau but he also proceeded to print out a history of the club for my perusal. This was very kind on his part... the only problem being that I only had a couple of hours left until my airport check-in and his colour printer was working at a page a minute!
The ground was a beautiful site considering it is built on top of other buildings. The ticket office for sweet. Purists would be scornful that the pitch was astro, but who really cares?
It is yet another club on the continent that is generically sporting in nature - football is not its only pastime - it also boasts a successful field hockey and roller hockey side. And no, please do not ask what the difference is. One team plays with roller skates and the other uses shoes?
The enthusiasm and passion shown for his club and the boasts about former players (Paulo Bento began his senior career there in the late 80s) who were part of Clube Futebol Benfica made me want to be involved in his club too! This is how important a sport which is about 11 people trying to kick a ball into a net can be. Not only is it a healthy pastime, but also one that fuses a community together in a small neighbourhood of a large city. Having played rugby at small clubs in the past, the social importance of having such a hub cannot be underestimated.
What is important in life? Money? Badges? Ask yourself this question - if you could live life in the moment and are a true fan of football, surely being a president of a football club (even one as small as this that plays just in regional leagues) must be one of the most enjoyable jobs in the world.
Many thanks to all those who made me feel so welcome at their football clubs. The groundsman with an axe. The physio who offered me a free ticket to watch her side play. The ladies hanging players' kits to dry on the pitch they played on. The ticket booths at the stadia.
Priceless memories from kind people who seemed simply happy with life on another enjoyable away trip to watch Chelsea play in Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment